Albertan communities are more active, creative, inclusive and safe.
- Encourage collaborative planning for facilities and services.
- Identify and share approaches in communities that capitalize on ethnic diversity, urban and rural distinctiveness and mobilize industry to develop active communities.
- Encourage local governments to create opportunities and remove barriers to physical activity.
- Identify and implement best practices in land use and transportation planning to facilitate active transportation, e.g., walking or cycling.
- Explore opportunities for tourism development around sport event hosting.
What does success look like in ten years?
- Communities are designed and developed to support active living, recreation and sport.
- Communities benefit from the economic impacts of active living, recreation and sport, including job creation and visitor attraction.
- More Albertans are using active transportation in their daily lives.
- Alberta’s communities are known to be safe and inclusive.
Last reviewed/revised: May 12, 2014