Recreation Volunteer Recognition Awards
The Ministry of Tourism, Parks and Recreation annually recognizes four volunteers who, through their volunteer commitment and dedication, have significantly enhanced the development
of recreation in Alberta. Every October these awards are presented during the
The Recreation Volunteer Recognition Award began in 1977 and over 200 volunteer leaders have since been recognized. The 2014 Award recipients were chosen at the 2014 ARPA/Energize
Conference and their names and bios (PDF - 16 KB).
And for a recent blog post that expresses thanks to these hometown heroes, go to:
- Letters (including the nomination forms and criteria), are sent to all community governments in Alberta in late April or early May, informing them about Energize and the
Recreation Volunteer Recognition Awards. The information is also distributed through the Alberta Recreation and Parks Association (ARPA) list serve and the eight regional
- Nominations are accepted until June 20, 2014.
- The Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation Energize Advisory Committee is responsible for reviewing the completed nomination submissions and evaluating
them according to an established scoring criteria.
- Four award nominees are recommended to the Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation.
- Once approved, a letter from the Minister of Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation notifies each of the award winners* and invites them to receive their award at the ARPA/Energize
Conference and Awards Banquet (which takes place annually in October).
Notes: Travel and related expenses for award recipients to attend the conference and awards banquet are covered, and they receive a plaque recognizing their achievement. A press
release is also coordinated following the conference.
For questions, contact:
Last reviewed/revised: October 31, 2014
Mr. Chris Szabo, Physical Activity Advisor
Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation
Recreation and Physical Activity Division
Telephone: (780) 415-0276