Recreation Volunteer Recognition Awards
The Ministry of Tourism, Parks and Recreation annually recognizes four volunteers who, through their volunteer commitment and dedication, have significantly
enhanced the development of recreation in Alberta. Every October these awards are presented during the
The Recreation Volunteer Recognition Award began in 1977 and over 200 volunteer leaders have since been recognized.
- Letters (including the nomination forms and criteria), are sent to all community governments in Alberta in late April or early May, informing them about
Energize and the Recreation Volunteer Recognition Awards. The information is also distributed through the Alberta Recreation and Parks Association (ARPA) list
serve and the eight regional recreation associations.
- Nominations are accepted until June 20, 2014
- The Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation Energize Advisory Committee is responsible for reviewing the completed nomination submissions
and evaluating them according to an established scoring criteria.
- Four award nominees are recommended to the Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation
- Once approved, a letter from the Minister of Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation notifies each of the award winners* and invites them to receive their award
at the ARPA/Energize Conference and Awards Banquet (which takes place annually in October).
Notes: Travel and related expenses for award recipients to attend the conference and awards banquet are covered, and they receive a plaque recognizing their achievement.
A press release is also coordinated following the conference.
For questions, contact:
Last reviewed/revised: May 12, 2014
Mr. Chris Szabo, Physical Activity Advisor
Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation
Recreation and Physical Activity Division
Telephone: (780) 415-0276